Friday, September 7, 2012

Prep Week


Made contact with several families in the Villages (both Upper and Lower Kalskag) this week.  Some homes were alarming to enter.  No electricity, no running water, dirt, stench, sick babies, no hope.  My heart goes out to these broken families racked by alcoholism and poverty.  Part of my assignment in Kalskag is to be a resource of hope for these families.  One family I was able to help get on emergency heating assistance and food stamps.  Another home I gave suggestions on hauling water and cleanliness.  Both homes haunted me at night.

Transportation is a challenge as there has been no fuel (gasoline) in the village for a couple weeks.  Kids played a prank in the middle of the night and hid my 4-wheeler behind my living quarters.  At least it wasn’t damaged or completely missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment