Thursday, October 10, 2013

Birthday Greetings

A Kalskag friend texted me in the evening of my birthday, October 8th and asked if I had my VHF radio. After I affirmed it he asked me to turn it on.  I thought there was going to be a special emergency announcement about the inclement weather for people in the village.  We were having a severe wind & rain storm.

I listened to the announcement: “Happy Birthday, Shelly!” then another person announced birthday greetings.  It began a chain reaction!  I listened and thanked adults, children, friends, parents and community members!

At the end one five year old girl got back on the radio and I can hear her whispering over air waves, “Ms. Shellllllllllyyyyyy….. Ms. Shelllllllyyyy…I’m suppose to be asleep…”  Everyone in the village heard her whispering her top secret message to me. 

The next morning several more people wished me a happy birthday.  Many of them heard this little girl…we all laughed!!  Best Birthday EVER!  Quyanna!

No comments:

Post a Comment