Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Homecoming


I returned to Kalskag in late August with an exuberant welcome from the people in the village.  Kids are running up to me screaming, “Shelly!” I brace for impact as the mob is rushing toward me.  Vehicles stop, filled with passengers that are greeting me saying, “welcome back!” Hugs all around. Friends are jumping off their four wheelers giving me big bear hugs that won't quit. (Help! I can’t breathe!) Other acquaintances that are driving by will stop to pick me up and drive me to my destination.  I am so thankful for the rides.  Several friends (big & little) have stopped by my cabin to visit.  We drink coffee, tea or hot chocolate and eat popcorn.

Last weekend two of my friends came over to my cabin to cut up six salmon that another person in the village caught drift netting. We put down paper on the floor and got our ulu’s and knives.  I learned how to “cut fish.”  I cooked one of the salmon for our church fellowship time after the Sunday Service.  It must have been delicious for it all disappeared.
 
It's good to be home.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment