Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Journey Home


Whenever I travel to or from Kalskag I always experience some degree of culture shock.  While in Kalskag, I settle into the rhythm of slow village life.  An environment without radio, TV, internet, billboards, traffic, restaurants, banks and other amenities. When I travel to Bethel, Anchorage, Seattle or Kona there is always some trepidation of entering into a high pace culture with people, lots of them, cars, traffic, horns, lights, well, you get the picture.  You probably live it every day and that is the norm.  This summer I traveled to Anchorage then out to Wasilla to visit my daughter.  Next stop on the summer itinerary was Seattle to visit my parents and son who reside in Olympia, Washington.  I met two of my friends in Seattle and off we traveled to Kona, Hawaii, where I stayed in my brother’s house for a month.  I reversed the itinerary home, with a stop in Bethel overnight, then out to Kalskag.  I watched the terrain from Bethel to Kalskag and wondered why I chose to be so isolated.  Only God knows!  I must admit that this is the first year I returned to Kalskag and felt like I was coming “home.”  Through all the stops in major cities I realized that I missed the people and the lifestyle here in Kalskag.  I am home and looking forward to another year!
My home with a face lift (new paint). Thanks Mark!

My home before it was painted this summer.
 


Terrain from Bethel to Kalskag

Terrain from Bethel to Kalskag

Terrain from Bethel to Kalskag

Plane landed in Kalskag.  They are loading 4x8 plywood
onto a 4 wheeler! That's Kalskag for you!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment