Monday, August 20, 2012

9 Days


I had 9 days from my assignment delivery to the actual flight to the mission site:  Sort, pack & ship items, say goodbyes, change phones, have a birthday party, dinner with family, 4 trips to Anchorage… what a whirlwind!

I strategically flew into Aniak and then to Kalskag where the principal picked me up from the little gravel airstrip. He drove his SUV right to the airplane and we unloaded my cargo bags right from the airplane to his vehicle. There is no terminal.  I got marching orders, looked at the headquarters and found the living arrangements adequate with running hot water. My vehicle arrived: Bright red Honda Foreman 4x4 (4-wheeler). Word spread quickly.  An hour later I was greeted by a tribe of natives in my living room. I gave them each a cookie to make a peace offering then asked them to help me move furniture. Gratefully they complied. 

The next people to arrive were my cohorts.  We had a cup of tea and more cookies!

Early the next morning I made contact with the leader of the village: The Pastor!

No comments:

Post a Comment